In this article, I will explain how meditation improves your relationship, brings you closer to your partner and helps you focus on the positive side of the relationship.
Meditation had been used to overcome anxiety, to deal with stress, to improve our sleep and to focus or to overcome a fear or phobia. Meditation reduces blood pressure, alleviates pain and moderates your body’s production of cortisol (the stress hormone), helping you to feel less stressed under pressure.
For thousands of years people have practice meditation for spiritual, physical and emotional well-being. In the recent years, meditation has gained popularity and has become an important practice in many people’s lives.
But how does meditation improve relationships? Research has found there is a strong link between meditation and healthy relationships.
“Quiet the mind, and the soul will speak.” – Ma Bhagavati
How meditation improves relationships
1. Strengthens your connection. Meditation can help you be more loving, caring and kind. Empathy and understanding are very important for any healthy relationship. Moreover, being kind and loving helps you overcome anxiety, depression and improves your overall happiness. And as a result, the connection to your partner will become stronger and more powerful.
2. Teaches you to pause before you react. Many relationships have arguments as a result of reacting without evaluating the situation. Meditation helps being present in the moment and leaving behind old patterns of behavior. By pausing before reacting, meditation helps you respond in a kinder and wiser way.
3. Keeps you positive. Positive emotions help you stay focus, connected and present, whilst overcoming stress, depression and anxiety. Meditation helps you feel more positive and resilient. When you feel positive about your life, you will improve and strengthen your relationship.
4. Keeps you grateful. Meditation helps you regulate your emotions, overcome stress, keep a positive attitude and change your perspective. In long-term relationships, people begin to take their partner for granted and start to concentrate on their negative traits. When you meditate you are more likely to feel grateful and appreciative towards your partner and as a result more satisfied with the relationship. Moreover, you partner will feel appreciated and more positive about the relationship.
5. Reduces stress. Most people bring home the stress they experience during the day and unconsciously treat their partner poorly by showing no affection, having bad moods and being distant. Meditation keeps you present and connected and significantly reduces stress levels. By practicing meditation every day, your relationship will begin to improve and benefit from it.
6. Improves your self-awareness. Meditation helps you understand your feelings and emotions and where they come from. It helps you detach and observe your feelings from outside, without identifying with them. The more you know yourself, the less vulnerable you are in getting lost when you are in a relationship.
7. Makes you more peaceful. Meditation helps you develop more stillness and peace within yourself. When you feel peaceful, you are more likely to choose more loving, compassionate ways to communicate and respond to your partner.
8. Teaches you forgiveness. Meditation helps you to move forward and to heal. When you can’t forgive your partner and hold resentment towards them, your relationship will lack the ability to grow and your connection will diminish. By practicing meditation regularly, you will learn how to let go and free yourself from the past.
9. It lowers your expectations. Most problems in relationships are a result of unrealistic expectations. People expect their partner to synchronize with how they experience situations and how they think and feel. Moreover, they expect their partner to make them feel complete. Meditation teaches you how to stop projecting your expectations in your relationship and connect better to your partner.
10. Helps you become aware. Meditation helps you gain a better insight of your thoughts and feelings and become more aware of unhelpful habits. You will find it easier to recognize and accept the negative effect these habits have on you and you will begin your journey into self-awareness and self-love.
11. Helps you stay present. Staying present in the moment is extremely beneficial for your relationship. When you worry about the past or the future, you cannot tune in to the present. The more aware you are about the present, the more clarity you have over the situation.
12. Improves your self-esteem. There is a strong link between high self-esteem and meditation. Meditation helps recognize harmful and self-defeating thoughts and creates more positive, helpful ones. The better you feel about yourself, the more similar feelings and emotions you have towards your partner. Read more about self-confidence and relationships here.
13. Helps understand where resentment comes from. Meditation helps you understand that your resentment towards your partner might not be directly linked to their behavior. Most people have not healed from their childhood experiences or past relationships and tend to bring these in their current relationship. Meditation helps you understand and identify past wounds that require healing in order to move forward. This takes the pressure of your partner and as a result, improves your relationship.
14. Helps you become a better listener. Meditation helps you improve your listening skills as you become less reactive. One of the basic human needs is to understand and be understood. There is no better way to understand someone than by listening to them. Learn how to communicate effectively in relationships here.
15. Helps regulate your emotions. The more you meditate, the more you will learn how to control and regulate your emotions. A lot of arguments in relationships are caused by emotional reactivity. If you hear something you might not like or agree with, your brain perceives it as a threat and transmits signals to your body that result in flight or fight response. Most of the times, people act up from a place of their own insecurities or pain. Learning how to regulate your emotions will help you better control your emotions.
“I meditate so that my mind cannot complicate my life” ~ Sri Chinmoy
I hope this article has helped you understand how meditation can improve your relationship. By practicing meditation daily, you will become more self-aware, compassionate, kind, forgiving and loving. Also, you will notice positive changes in your body and general well-being and you will overcome anxiety and depression.
If you have any questions, feel free to leave them below and I will be more than happy to answer them.
All the best,