In this article, I will present the 23 habits of healthy relationships. I will show you the best ways to nurture, improve and create the relationship of your dreams.
Love is more than just a feeling; love is a commitment to learn new ways to show affection, appreciation and respect to each other, to strengthen your connection and to overcome any problems together.
“A healthy relationship is one in which love enriches you; not imprisons you.”- Steve Maraboli
23 Habits of Healthy Relationships
1. Communicate effectively. A lot of relationships problems are caused by ineffective communication. Talking about the way you feel and think openly with your partner, whilst actively listening without judging them can strengthen your connection. Learn how to communicate effectively here.
2. Understand each other. Understanding your partner can be one of the hardest challenges in your relationship. It is hard to put yourself in your partner’s shoes when you have a completely different opinion about the same topic. However, the more understanding you are towards your partner, the more they are willing to understand you as well.
3. Forgive each other. When people are hurt by their loved one, they find forgiveness very hard. However, healthy couples have learned to forgive themselves and free their relationship from past mistakes.
4. Actively engage in the relationship. Spend quality time with your partner, buy them little gifts, pay attention to their needs, listen to them, go on dates, kiss, hug, make love to each other, compliment them and surprise them. Healthy relationships require a commitment to make your partner happy and fulfilled in the relationship.
5. Respect each other. Treating your partner with lack of respect will negatively impact your relationship. Healthy couples respect and admire each other, prioritizing their partner needs and making them feel valued.
6. Appreciate each other. Show your partner your appreciation for everything they do for you. When people feel appreciated for their actions, they are willing to give more. It is easy to take things for granted, but take a moment and be thankful and appreciative for the things they are doing for you.
7. Complement each other. In any healthy relationship, partners try to increase each other’s self-esteem. Compliment your partner and remind them how great they are and how happy you feel to have them in your life.
8. Work as a team. Even when arguing, you need to work as a team against the problem, not one against the other. Most conflicts are never solved because couples fight against each other instead of working together to solve the problem.
9. Be honest with each other. Honesty is the foundation of any healthy relationship. Without honesty, the relationship cannot even be considered real. Being honest with your partner will build trust, respect and understanding.
10. Show affection to each other. By showing affection to your partner, you let them know that you love them and that you are there for them. Hug, kiss, cuddle, hold hands and make love to each other to reinforce and deepen your connection.
11. Support and encourage each other. Relying on your partner for support and encouragement is essential in any healthy relationship. When you feel encouraged and supported by your partner, you are more likely to believe in your abilities and accept yourself for who you are.
12. Make time for each other. Spend quality time with each other and make time to listen and understand each other. Nurture your relationship and invest in it. The more you invest in it, the more you will benefit from it.
13. See a future together. It is hard to be sure of how the relationship will progress, but having faith that you will be together and you will overcome any obstacle in the way is crucial. Sometimes, arguments are a result of insecurity and anxiety about the future of the relationship. Knowing that you can count on your partner to be there for you every step of the way is essential for healthy and strong relationship.
14. Talk about your future. Couples who can talk about their future are the strongest and healthiest. It is important to work towards a common goal and see yourself together in the future. Plan for the future with your partner and establish the common goals you have or differences of opinions at early stages.
15. Find new ways to connect to each other. You should always find new ways to learn and connect to each other. Also, you should look for new goals to share together, places to discover, activities to engage in or topics for discussion.
16. Bond with each other. Laughing or having deep conversations with your partner create an intimate bond that cannot be underestimated. In order to have a healthy relationship, you have to think of your partner as your best friend. Humor will unite you even more.
17. Make up after arguments. Make amends with your partner after an argument and don’t let the distance created by the arguments stay in between the two of you. Admit when you are wrong and forgive your partner for their mistakes.
18. Do spontaneous things together. Most couples suffer from boredom as they forget how to be spontaneous. It is important to be spontaneous and don’t fall into a routine. Try new things, go on adventures, experience something new and have fun together.
19. Learn how to disagree. In any relationship there will be disagreements and situations when you might find it difficult to understand your partner’s point of view. In healthy relationships, disagreements are normal and natural and they usually mean that you are looking for a compromise. A strong relationship should allow both partners to express their opinions and values, whilst sharing a life together.
20. Manage your frustration. Even the healthiest relationships have times when the partners are frustrated to each other. Learning how to manage the frustration will benefit your relationship. When angry and frustrated, taking time away from the situation will help you clear your mind and will give you space to find new solutions to the problem. Learn how to deal with anger in relationships here.
21. Balancing house work. Balance is vital in relationships. Most relationships have arguments regarding house work. Finding a way to balance the house work will lead to less resentment and problems in your relationship. If this is an issue in your relationship, discuss with your partner and try to establish a house work schedule that both agree on.
22. Give each other space. It is important to spend quality time with each other, but also to give each other space. You need time for yourself to know who you really are outside the relationship. Take time to engage in the activities and hobbies you want to do and give your partner space to do the same.
23. Don’t go to bed until you have solved the problem. Discuss the disagreements and try to fix the problem. Don’t go to bed upset and resentful towards each other. This will create an intimate gap between the two of you that will lead to more arguments in the future.
I hope this article taught you the best habits for a healthy relationship. Improve and nurture your relationship by investing time and effort in creating a happy and strong relationship.
”Good relationships don’t just happen. They take time, patience and two people who truly want to be together. ”- Unknown
If you have any questions, feel free to leave them below and I will be more than happy to answer them.
All the best,